The Sun Never Rises
The Way of Lolth
Menzoberranzan’s principal law is the Way of Lolth, a code of behavior known in detail by every high priestess, and administrated by the ruling council. Its tenets are:
- There is no god or goddess other than Lolth. Any who follows the dictates of another entity will be slain, preferably in sacrifice to Lolth.
- Ritual worship of any entity other than Lolth is forbidden within the city’s vault. Non-drow who violate this tenet are fined and expelled from the city. Second offenders or any elf who does so are slain.
- Slaves have no rights, and there are no limits to the punishment or duties that can be set for them. Treatment of slaves is the affair of their owners. It is a capital offense for a slave to refuse any order from an elf of the house that owns the slave.
- A commoner or student of the Academy who refuses to obey a priestess can be punished as the offended priestess sees fit, up to and including death. If the offender is the property of another house and the noble of that house is present and objects, the two must agree on a punishment (usually flogging).
- Any elf who falsely wears the colors of another house or who deliberately alters his or her appearance to masquerade as on of a different station will be slain.
- Any non-elf who adopts the appearance of a particular elf, an elf of a noble rank, or an elf of a house other than his or her own will be slain.
- If it can be proved that two or more houses attacked another house, all the houses that participated in the attack will be destroyed jointly by the remainder.